Karkidaka kanji - The monsoon medicinal porridge for good health
Karkidakam, the Malayalam month that falls between Mid-July and Mid-August is known, not only for the unending downpours but also for being the month of effective Ayurvedic treatments and therapeutic health care regimens, as the body is considered highly receptive to Ayurveda treatments during this period.
Ayurveda therapy helps an individual to go through the rest of the year by having a rejuvenated and strengthened body & mind.
Karkidaka kanji (the medicinal porridge) is one of the special therapeutic Ayurvedic diets that is prescribed during the Karkidakam season to overcome many diseases caused during the monsoon and to improve the immunity of one’s body. The gruel not only cleans the body from the inside but also helps in good digestion. It is also very effective for improving immunity if taken regularly.
1. Good for regulating diabetes and cholesterol.
2. Good for arthritis
3. Helps digestion
4. Removes toxins
5. Improves Immunity
6. Provides energy
Ancient scriptures available do not suggest a strict guideline on the recipe of Karkidaka kanji. Depending on the health condition of an individual, other Ayurvedic ingredients like Moringa powder, green-gram, Thazuthamma (Boerhavia) etc, can be added to the basic recipe given below.
• 100gm Wayanaden's Organic Navara rice • 4 tsp fenugreek seeds
• 1 tsp dried ginger powder • 1 tsp crushed pepper
• 1 tsp Jeera • 1 tsp turmeric powder. 1 tspn Halim seeds/ Garden Cress Seeds
• 1 tsp garlic • 1 tsp carom seeds/ ajwain (ayamodakam)
• ¼ cup coconut milk
1. Wash the rice and boil it in 1 litre of water.
2. Add fenugreek seeds and continue boiling.
3. Once cooked, pour in the coconut milk, wait till it starts to boil again, and immediately take off the flame.
4. Add the rest of the spices, mix well and keep covered for a while.
5. If topped with 2-3 sambar onions tempered in 1 tsp ghee/ coconut oil, gives a great taste to the dish. (Optional)
6. Serve hot.